Choosing a top quality whey protein powder
I like using and recommending products that are as close to their natural state as possible. The less processing being involved in making the product, the better! Therefore, I prefer whey protein concentrate over the whey protein isolate because more naturally occurring nutrients are still present in the concentrate form, and they are readily bioavailable and easily digestible as well.
It also matters what the cows themselves have been eating if we are searching for a high quality whey protein powder. The best protein powders are made from the milk of grass-fed cows grazing only on healthy pastures. Therefore, I would pick a protein powder from cows that have been grazing on pastures from pristine environments. And last but not least, an important contributor to high quality whey protein powder is its production method. It is very important to choose a protein powder that uses a delicate process such as, ultra-filtration and cross-flow cold microfiltration, which yields an intact protein with all the precious nutrient preserved.
To summarise; when it comes to choosing the top quality whey protein powder, be sure your supplement has the following features:
1. The whey comes from grass-fed cows that are not treated with pesticides or hormones.
2. Cold processed, since heat destroys whey’s fragile molecular structure.
3. Whey protein concentrate, not protein isolates for better nutritional value.
4. Contains abundant naturally-occurring branched chain amino acids (BCAAs).
5. Contains 3 essential amino acids (cysteine, glycine and glutamate) for Glutathione production (‘the master antioxidant’) – vital for recovery, growth and disease resistance.
6. Rapidly absorbed.
7. Contains no more than only a couple of ingredients.